I had a horrible weekend. . .and an equally horrible day. I HATE being sick!! :(

This is a witness account of the happening of this day. I think this picture makes me feel worse!
Witness describes scene at the LA Temple:
I was at the Los Angeles Temple assisting in the security efforts and it was quite an experience. Our temple is safe and no damage was done on the grounds. It was a sight I never expected to see.
At one point we had let in about 20 police vehicles through the gates, because they were afraid their vehicles would be damaged as civilian cars were being vandalized. . .
Two full squads of LAPD in riot gear set up their base inside the temple grounds while SWAT vehicles and hundreds of officers followed the crowds up Santa Monica and Wilshire Boulevards. I’ve heard that the crowd was estimated to be over 2,500. When I arrived, all of the gates were shut and a small group of members had to remain outside the grounds as the direction was to turn away others who had come to assist.
After about a half an hour two sister missionaries ran up the drive to the East gate. I would have made more jokes with them, asking them trivia questions to prove they were LDS before opening the gate, but they were obviously nervous and had left on their name tags as they wandered the streets. When the crowd turned back towards the temple from West Hollywood, we opened the gate to those members still outside so they would not be trapped in the crowd.
The officers inside the temple grounds made a line on the front lawn by the fence. At one point, with 7 news and police helicopters overhead, the crowd began to climb the fence and it looked like there was going to be a lot of trouble. We had, it seemed, a good fourth of a Polynesian ward there, so it could have gotten very interesting very fast.
With lines of motorcycle cops with sirens wailing up and down the street with the latest outbreak, helicopters continually circling with spotlights cutting through the sky, and the crowd roaring being led my megaphones shouting every synonym they could think of that went along with “evil”… it almost seemed like the very end was at hand. My dad called me every few minutes to give me updates from live news through the Internet because we did not have TVs and the police did not even seem to be informed on the movement of the crowd up and down the streets. I relayed these updates directly to the head of temple security so we could anticipate when to be ready.
My friend and I joked about what would happen if we were caught in the middle of the crowd rushing up the lawn. We decided that because we were still single without much luck in finding wives, it might be to our advantage to go without a fight, and die as a martyrs. If I remember correctly, that’s a free ticket to the Celestial Kingdom, and I’m sure there’s plenty of girls there to chose from without the dramas of dating. [Note to non-Mormons: This is a humorous reference to an Islamic teaching for which there is no Mormon equivalent.]
While I was there, I was not aware of anyone actually breaching the fence, but we were asked to move far across the parking lot, as they were anticipating the need to shoot tear gas canisters.
I never thought I would see the day when police officers would sit perched on the spire of our temple as lookouts. All of this happened at about 7:30 pm. . . .
Against this backdrop, in defending Prop 22 (Prop 8’s statutory twin) California’s Attorney General argued before the California Supreme Court
that California’s current domestic partnership legislation affords same sex couples all of the core substantive rights that plausibly may be guaranteed to an individual or couple as elements of the fundamental state constitutional right to marry . . .
In other words, despite Prop 8 or 22, gay partners already enjoyed all of the substantive rights of normal couples. Thus, the No on 8 agenda had (and has) nothing to do with substantive rights of gays. What they want is to take away the rights of others to freely and publicly state the moral, societal and economic inferiority of homosexuality. They seek to impose moral equivalency between homosexuality and normal, husband-wife relations through the law. I think this is called “legislating morality.”
To read more go to this website
This bothers me. When I think of temple workers I think of my Grandparents, my Mother, Sweet Helpers, and my Friends. Same as the Patrons who visit there. I feel violated and sick that they had to be put through this.
I wonder what they are trying to prove or get out of their actions. Do they really think that if they riot that everyone will want to take back their vote? I think that this is causing the absolute opposite reaction for all the community.
I am also very upset with how some have treated others throughout this whole ordeal. Vandalizing, Stealing, Name Calling, and NOW Riots. I understand being passionate about something. . .but must you lose the act of being civil??
Again, I am sorry that it had to end up like this. I really hope that something can change for both parties involved.

5 people are bringing sexy back:
I am so thankful for the time you put into this post...It was hard to see all the negative attention put on the church members for just acting upon the right to vote...
it is not about hate...it is not even about intolerance...it is just about adhering to values that each person voting had to be true to...
great post...
Wow Heather. Thanks for that post and making me more aware of what is going on. What a crazy time we live in.
It is crazy, isn't it? I love this post, Heather. You put a lot of time into it and it's very well written. You know that swarms of people were protesting at the Salt Lake Temple on Thursday, I think. They had to close temple square. It makes me sad. There were police all over. I just watched some of the highlights on the news.
WHY CAN'T WE ALL BE HAPPY??? I THINK EVERYONE GETS PILIGAMY AND MORMANS MIXED UP SO THEY THINK WE HAVE 400 MILLION,BILLION PEOPLE IN OUR FAMILYS THAT VOTE. WHATEVER!! THAT WAS A GREAT POST. CRAZY!! PURE CRAZY!! I HOPE YOU SLEEP BETTER TONIGHT:)
It makes me so sad to see them protesting out side anyones place of worship. Especially the Temple.
Hey, would you like to get together on the 26th? I have the day off work! :)
Post a Comment