Friday, January 11, 2008

It's The Holiday Season. . .

Well, not really anymore. Especially since we are in January and all remnants of Christmas and the New Year have been taken down. This is just my typical procrastination. GO ME!!

Some really cool and fun things happened to us, so of course I must share with you all the happenings of our exciting life. Don’t hold your breath. . . we are anything but exciting!!

So for Christmas I wanted to get Ryan some really cool presents. That is my goal every year with all the people that I shop for; however, by Christmas morning I get major buyers remorse and think, "Why did I get them that? What was I thinking?" One of the presents I got Ryan was great!! I think it was more fun for me than for him. Here is how the conversation went:

Picture two days before Christmas . . . me, coming home from some great shopping and errand running, and Ryan, coming home from a long day of work, we are heading out to dinner.


Heather: Ryan, you need to open one of your presents early . . . or it will die.

Ryan: (eyes big at this point) What did you get? (Said more angry than excited)

Heather: I got you a puppy!! (Said with excitement, a huge smile, and of course batting of the eyelashes!)

Ryan: WHAT??!! (Humor completely gone from his face . . . looking quite menacing at this point)

Heather: I got you a puppy and if you don’t open it and wait until Christmas morning it will die. (He looks like he is ready to faint by this point and I decide to give the poor guy a break.)

I then explain to him that I named it puppy but he can name it whatever he wants. . . (Color starts to come back into his face but he still looks at me with daggers). I lead him towards the fish tank where I have taped a bunch of wrapping paper for him to “open” his present. (He is starting to look less like he is going to kill me and more like he is going to laugh). I then point out the little crab that I had named puppy. By this point he is happy. I then explain that I got him a tattoo, lipstick and a puppy for Christmas;all names of the new wildlife in our tank.

A small idea of what our new "Puppy" looks like. Scary, right?? It freaks me out.

I wonder if he has completely healed from the experience. At least I got a lot of enjoyment from that!! That’s what makes it all worthwhile, right?

So in a serious tone . . . I got Ryan a really cool hockey puck case, thanks to my eBay seller. He has all these hockey pucks from NHL games and when he played in a league. He is so good he would receive the game puck on occasion.Ryan also got a Nintendo Wii, compliments of Terry and Vicky!! Thank you Jerky and Annelise for getting the bug in us! It has been fun!! I have been meaning to take pictures of our jam sessions . . . totally dropped the ball on it. So Brian you need to come back over just so I can take a picture of you holding the game controller with Ryan. We can reenact that fun night for camera and blog purposes!

It was fun opening up the presents on Christmas morning. We opened them with Brandon, Tawny, their two kids, Aaron, Terry, and Vicky. There was a big void though because our Utah family was not there!! (Sniffle and sob) Next year Michelle!!


Brandon and Tawny did not know that we had asked for a Nintendo Wii. So Ryan, being the tease that he is, had an idea of what present it was so he waited to open it until the very end. Poor Brandon and Tawny; it was really confusing to them and their kids. They saw us opening games and controllers (we got a lot of fun controllers, Mario Galaxy, Spiderman 3, Dance Dance Revolution, and Guitar Hero 3) but were baffled as to how we were going to use these games; especially since the Wii is not the easiest to come by. So that was fun!


Since I don't have any pictures of us playing. . . yet! Here are some pictures, use your imagination and I am sure you can see us playing this!

For New Years Eve we went out to a really yummy dinner with Terry and Vicky. We had prime rib at the Summit House. SO GOOD!!! Terry, Aaron, and Ryan each gave me their bones to take home to Lacy. She was such a happy dog!! We had to fence her in the kitchen. She has a tendency to be right at our feet with her bones. Ryan didn’t want it to get the floors dirty. So she was funny to watch. She would get so excited and start gnawing on that bone . . . then she would realize that we aren’t focusing our attention on her, and also that she in fact was locked in that small area, so she would whine. Then she would remember her bone and go back to devouring it. I think I found more humor in her little idiosyncrasies than Ryan did.

As a random note . . . I always feel so conflicted with items like this. I was very strict about feeding Lacy table food in the beginning. Then with the health scare of so many dogs near to death with the pet food recall I became more lenient and gave into her sad puppy eyes. So it is a tough spot. I feel bad not letting her eat the yummy food, but I feel ten times worse when I give in and she gets a bad reaction to the table food I fed her!! I am sure all you Mom’s out there can relate to that!

8 people are bringing sexy back:

Unknown said...

I love that you have a blog! How exciting. I was just telling Michelle that I am addicted. You are more html savvy or something though, mine is so plain. You are as BEAUTIFUL as ever, how could I forget you?

Kim L. said...

Heather, thanks for your note! We will be able to get to know each other real well, now.\"/ Gotta love blogs, huh? I appreciate you sharing yours with me! Thanks! Kim Loudon

Heather said...

Kim: You are too sweet!! I am so new to this blogging thing. I was really digging yours and how simple and elegant. Ryan was complaining that mine was looking too busy. He just isn't into the whole digital scrapbook thing.
It's funny I have been nagging Michelle about getting a blog. I finally broke her down and she said I could create one for her. I don't think she has had a chance to see it yet!! So we will see if she is up for it after checking it out.

Heather said...

Kim Loudon!! I am so glad that the blog is helping me meet my "half" sister in-law! heeheehee
Thanks for the note! It will be fun to get to know you more!

Annelise said...

love it! you are so clever. so what are tatoo and lipstick?! i need some serious lesson from you. then maybe ONE year ill not only get something erik he actually wants, but it will be a surprise! erik would get a kick out of lizards (we used to go to the pet store all the time when we first got married, and hed just stare at the lizards) but after moths and being alone, lizards are my number 3 fear. anyway, cute post, you guys are so much fun.

Heather said...

Annelise!!
You are so funny!! I bet you find great gifts for Erik!! Him being into computers is probably hard to find anything inexpensive. To be honest. . .I don't think Ryan liked any of his presents from me this year!! :(
Too bad Erik doesn't work somewhere that would allow lizards!?! I know how you feel. I have put all efforts into keeping "puppy" in that tank! But, when he gets out I am surprised you can't hear my screams clear out in Utah!!
The other ones: Tatoo and Lipstick are parrot fish. One has bright red lips and the other has red and blue stripes. They are fun!
You could always get a fish tank. . .they have dogfish, mini african frogs, and all other kinds of wildlife that the family would enjoy watching!

Annelise said...

have you not heard our fish tank story?! erik and i totally got one right after we got married (that probably better explains the newly-wed trips to the pet store, right?!) so we would keep getting new fish, frogs, and shrimp for it. then it came time to move out of our apartment a year later. by then the novelty had worn off. we moved into our house a month before our rent was up, so come check out, our fish were STILL in our apartment. we had no idea what to do, especially since we werent even supposed to have them. bye bye fishies. erik flushed the few that were left. our fish tank has been sitting in the garage ever since.

i DO think we could rekindle the fish tank flame with little sam. ive actually thought about it often. so is yours a salt water one?! those are super cool!

Heather said...

Annelise! That's right I remember helping you guys move. . . That tank was in Erik's office right? You should totally get it up and running again!! I have a fresh water tank. Too lazy to learn the salt water. I Love ours... I will have to send you some pictures of our new fish and "puppy".
I am sorry that you ended up flushing them down! When we moved to CA we had three fish still. We left them in the tank and at the very back of the uhaul. They actually made it all the way. . . Then Ryan added more water to it when we got here. . .without putting the right chemicals. . .needless to say only one made it.