Thursday, February 28, 2008

In memory of Grannie Rood

I am sad to hear of the passing of a dear friend in Sydney. Ethel "Grannie" Rood passed away on the morning of February 21 at the age of 93. She never married and had no children ("mother to a cat," as she would say) but loved and was loved by hundreds of missionaries that cooked meals for her and fellowshipped her. I was privileged to be one of those missionaries.

The photo below was taken in 1997. Heather was able to meet her in 2006 during our Sydney vacation. At that time she was in a great deal of pain and virtually confined to a bed. I am happy that she is free from that crippled body and able to again be with her mother, who she always spoke so lovingly about. It was an honor to know her. She will be missed by many.

2 people are bringing sexy back:

Heather said...

This is so sad and so happy at the same time. She will be missed. She was such a great funny lady. I am so glad that I got to meet her! I am sorry Ryan!! Poor Con!! I hope Con is doing well with this news! He was so good to her!!

My favorite part was when your Grandma would get upset that you were calling another lady granny!!

Heather said...

One of the things she would always say: "Rood by name not by nature". So cute!!

(hopefully I didn't butcher it)