Sorry this will be the last post about this . . . It's been very difficult to say the least. It sucks, it's lame, and it's still very painful. I am still going through all the emotions. . . I may be on the verge of checking into an insane asylum and making pasta necklaces for a time. You will all get one from me come christmas. :)
A big hug and thank you to all of my friends and family that have sent emails, comments, phone calls, cupcakes and notes, sweet text messages, and hugs. It means the world to me that you are standing by me during my time of need. It lets me know who I can rely on and call close. ( Also thank you for the birthday wishes. . . I was against celebrating my birth when I killed another birth, but thank you Vicky and Ryan for turning a horrible time into an enjoyable time. Timing just sucks sometimes)An even bigger thank you to my Ryan who protected me, held me while I cried, paid a lot in time, tests, and money, and has stood by me. I can't even describe to you the pain and guilt I feel for not allowing this sweet man to be a father.
So anyway, I have a question on etiquette.
I must have missed this chapter from Emily Post about how to handle the timing of telling people you are pregnant. I am sorry to those of you who were bugged and irritated that I didn't personally tell you that we were pregnant. I am even more sorry that many of you had to find out that we miscarried through a blog, email, or through family members.
It's so confusing!! You don't tell people that you are pregnant for fear of miscarrying, yet when you miscarry you tell people. What was the point in keeping it quiet.
I am of the belief that I would rather tell people (if conversation swings that way) that I had miscarried after I have had time to manage my emotions better so I won't make them or me feel awkward or ask questions that I am not prepared to come to terms with.
And with the announcement of pregnancy I will tell only those that I am close with and the rest will find out once I am past my first trimester. I think most people do this. That way if there is a miscarriage than only your close friends and family will support you through it.
The timing of this one couldn't have been worse. My cousin was getting married and so all of my family was coming into town. Since I was in a lot of physical and emotional pain, seeing a lot of family right then and celebrating was beyond my capability. "Our" story was going to be that I was really sick with something contagious (this has been my fall back with a lot of people through the infertility treatments and testing). I am sorry that I appear to be a flake, being with friends and family is a priority to me. . .just not as much as bringing a possible child into the world. Baby trumps social aspects. . .that's just how it is. However, Ryan is tired of people thinking ill of me as I am as well. He decided that we tell them. That way they will understand if I am acting "different". . . oh, just come out and say it, that I am majorly depressed. However, we didn't have to tell everyone. Most of my family reads this blog. . .the ones who read it were able to clue in the ones who didn't read it and so on and so forth.
So if you have made it this far in the post you deserve a treat!!
I ask you my fellow friends. . . what do you do with announcing to people that you are pregnant? And if you have miscarried do you tell right then? I am very curious what other people think is the right thing to do. I have had enough of these that you would think I would have figured this out already. Oh well.

17 people are bringing sexy back:
That video made me all teary eyed. I don't feel right giving you advice, since I can't imagine the pain your going through.
As for announcing your prengant. I think that's a personal choice. I know some that tell as soon as they pee on a stick, and some that wait until they are showing. I don't think there is a one rule fits all.
I also don't think you should be worrying about people being bugged or irritated with not knowing your personal business.
Last thing and I'll end this novel.(shesh!) I told Kamryn it was your birthday on the 4th and she was sad that we weren't going to be seeing you. I really hope you made the best of it!
♡ I've seen that video before and it gets me everytime. It took us 4 years to get prego after our first. I know know 1/100 of what you're going through but I can't imagine the other parts. My heart goes out to you! I do have 2 sisters that have been married for 8 years and 6 years and haven't had any luck either. They decided to only tell immediate family what was going on. I agree that it's a very personal decision and what's right for one isn't necessarily right for another. My other sister has had several too and again does the same thing as my other two sisters.
It was good hearing from you again! :)
Heather. I am so so sorry. When I lost our first I didn't even know I was pregnant but it still caused a lot of pain for me emotionally and was a very confusing time in my life. I told people right away when I was pregnant with Abigail because I thought if something were to happen again they could help me through it. But that was just my decision. Everyone is so different and grieves in different ways.
So honestly you should only care about you and your husband for he is going through the process with you. Whatever you decided should be up to you and everyone else should understand.
I am truly sorry for your loss. It is a very hard thing that no one should ever endure. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
I wish I could help you out with that question. I think that you are the most important to worry about. IF people get offended because you didn't fill them in on your latest news...then they suck! They have no idea what you have and are going through!
Thanks for being a great friend!
BTW- I had to put that video on my blog...I hope you don't think I am copying you...it just fits my thoughts. Thanks for being a great friend!
Heather,
I don't think there is a right answer. I know for me I tell my closest friends before I even tell family. They give me the support I need to help me through those first scary weeks and I have the freedom to say exactly what I am thinking and know that they will just love me no matter what. They have been through pregancy, miscarriage, stillborns, cancer and failed invitros & they are my rocks. Each one gives me strength in a different way and I (selfishly) want that. But with each pregancy I have gone "public" at different stages. Just what ever felt right that time. As to my miscarriage.... I told people in a pretty blunt fashion. I just blurted it out most of the time &burst into tears.Not sure if that was the "right" way to handle it but I was depressed and felt awful. It took me some time, alot of chocolate and a few well perscribed happy pills to really snap out of it. Never worry if someone judges you based on how you deal with your own loses. They are not you! You and Ryan are the most important people in this situation and the rest of us just want to love and support you no matter what! So,my wonderful sister and friend just know that I love you and am pulling for you.
love,
Tawny
Wow...that was an amazing video. People have "feelings" about the way you handled things? That is CRAZY and insensitive. Do not worry about what THOSE people think. There is a healthy grieving process that has to occur...and every one's process is different. It is totally up to the two of you "who" you tell, "when" you tell, and "what you tell.
Every pregnancy has been different, but by 8 weeks any one who SEES me, KNOWS I am pregnant... but we have waited to tell people who can't SEE the evidence till after the 1st trimester....we waited like 4 months to tell Eric's family with Malakai. I just showed up to Eric's brother's wedding with a HUGE belly.
I didn't get the chance to tell anyone about my last pregnancy before I miscarried. I posted about the miscarriage, but not the pregnancy. I appreciated the support I received from telling people, and needed a little bit of understanding for my temporary lack of concern for my calling and other daily responsibilities. I was in hiding for 2 weeks... since the PHYSICAL process took that long.
Just do what feels good to YOU and Ryan. We love you and hope you are finding the peace you need to heal from this.
Heather..that was a beautiful post. I am so glad to be in contact with you again. I am so sorry for your pain. You are so brave to share it. Thank you for letting me in to your world.
Nicole
Well said, Girl! Very eloquent. If there is anyone who gets bent out of shape over how they were told of your news or not told, then that is THEIR problem. And not everyone is maybe not as private and you and I are. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Your season is just around the corner- You are going to be an awesome mom. I just know it! You will appreciate motherhood more than anyone else- especially those who complain about just the opposite. It appears to me that from these comments that others have left for you that you are surrounded by people who just adore and love you. I can't imagine anyone thinking anything negative of you. If they did before reading your comments, they won't now! Sometimes people just don't have a clue what's going on in the lives of others. You are blessed to have so many family members and friends who love you so much. Stop being so hard on yourself. This "situation" isn't YOUR fault so don't blame yourself. I only dish this advice out because I went through similar feelings you are having for the first 6 years of our marriage. Thanks for your courage in sharing this post with all of us. I am pretty confident that all those who read this blog do rally round you with love and support. If they don't, they have some serious issues to resolve in their own lives. You're awesome, Heather!!! Don't allow anything or anyone to make you feel otherwise! :) Love you!
Heather,
I really don't know about when to tell people about pregnancy, but I know all about answering those awkward life questions (aka, what's wrong with you? why aren't you married yet? shouldn't you have 2-3 kids by now?) Some people are just not aware that they sound so insensitive. Anyway, I am so sorry that you had to go through this! If I wasn't in another state I'd make you something yummy and chocolatey, even though I know that really doesn't make anything better for longer than it takes to eat it.
heather! im glad to see you back, ive missed you! we continue to prayer for you and you are constantly in my thoughts. i don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said. i would just agree that every person and each situation is unique and different, and all anyone can expect is for you to do whats best for YOU! i love you dearly and hope you are doing well. take lots of care!!
Heather-
The e-mail address you gave me comes back rejected?? Has is changed since I have e-mailed you?
HEY GIRL!!! I'M STILL IN OREGON AT MEGS HOUSE. I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD GET ON THE COMPUTER TO SEE HOW THINGS ARE. THANKS FOR THE BIRTHDAY MESSAGE!! WELL I LOVE THAT POST IS THAT KELLY COFFEE SININGING THAT SONG? I LOVE THAT YOU ARE EXPRESSING YOUR REAL FEELINGS AND I THINK THAT THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD BE!! YOUR DESERVE TO BE SAD AND MAD DAMIT!!! I THINK WRIGHTING IT DOWN REALLY HELPS!! WHO CARES WHAT PEOPLE THINK( EASIER SAID THEN DONE). YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON AND I KNOW GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE!! YOU KNOW YOU CAN CALL ME IF YOU NEED ME TO JUST LISTEN. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A GREAT GROUP OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
LOVE YA CHICK!!!! LINDS
My heart is so full for you! Heather girl, you just have to deal with it the way YOU and Ryan think it is best. If it is easier for you to deal with it by not sharing until you are ready, then so be it. I do however, believe in the strength of prayer, friends and family in times such as these. You are an amazing person. I'm not sure why you are having to endure these horrific and heartbreaking trials, but perhaps in the long run, there will be a purpose and an understanding.
My heart aches for you. I think of you often, I wish I could hug you and take you out for a nice treat and forget all the woes. You will be a momma...and Ryan a papa...don't give up HOPE...the world needs hope. Love you sweet girl.
Hi Heather,
You are such a great friend, I love you! I'm sorry also that I fell off the face of the earth! I am more deeply sorry for your pain. I just wish I could give you a BIG HUG. I promise to keep in touch more.... and especially keep up with my blog. You were so sweet to post comments when I created it in November.
Have a happy Wednesday! :)
-Krystal
Hey girl,
I think you are an amazingly strong woman. You are so beautiful and I hope you are doing better as the days pass! My sis Karista has been through this a few times as well...I have seen how hard it was for her. Please know that you are in our prayers always!
We love you, Love John and Rachel
Heather...I just watched that video and i'm balling my eyes out. I love you so much and I'm so sorry for all that you are going through. I know it must be so hard. I just want you to know that I'm here for you...call me whenever you want to talk...i'll listen. Just remember that Heavenly Father loves you...you're in my prayers!
~Monica
Post a Comment